Sunday, July 1, 2012

Copycat Baja Fresh Guacamole

Recently the Baja Fresh down the street closed.  I love their guacamole so I was so sad when they closed.  Now I didn't always love guacamole.  Until I got pregnant with my daughter I hated it.  All of sudden I'm pregnant and .... BAM... I love that and spinach.  I'm surprised she didn't come out green :-)

I found a recipe on Food Network courtesy of Alton Brown and it tastes pretty darn close to the real thing!  Even my mother in law who is as picky as they come when it comes to food loved it.  The link to the original recipe is here.



Ingredients

  • 3 Haas avocados, halved, seeded and peeled (I used generic avocados and it worked)
  • 1 lime, juiced (I used the bottle type Lime juice)
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
  • 1/2 medium onion, diced (I left this out and used minced onions)
  • 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
  • 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
  • 1 clove garlic, minced

Directions

In a large bowl place the scooped avocado pulp and lime juice, toss to coat. Drain, and reserve the lime juice, after all of the avocados have been coated. Using a potato masher add the salt, cumin, and cayenne and mash. Then, fold in the onions, tomatoes, cilantro, and garlic. Add 1 tablespoon of the reserved lime juice. Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour and then serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment