I found a recipe on Food Network courtesy of Alton Brown and it tastes pretty darn close to the real thing! Even my mother in law who is as picky as they come when it comes to food loved it. The link to the original recipe is here.
- 3 Haas avocados, halved, seeded and peeled (I used generic avocados and it worked)
- 1 lime, juiced (I used the bottle type Lime juice)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 medium onion, diced (I left this out and used minced onions)
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, minced
In a large bowl place the scooped avocado pulp and lime juice, toss to coat. Drain, and reserve the lime juice, after all of the avocados have been coated. Using a potato masher add the salt, cumin, and cayenne and mash. Then, fold in the onions, tomatoes, cilantro, and garlic. Add 1 tablespoon of the reserved lime juice. Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour and then serve.