I started getting into the list of ingredients though and I didn't have 4 of the key ingredients. So I decided WTF and just made due with what I had at the house to see how it would go. Surprisingly they were delicious. Here is my modified list of ingredients. BTW I added the ground beef at the last minute because I had a 1/4lb left after I was done with the Bacon Cheeseburger Dip.
For the tailgate I will cook them at home overnight/morning and throw them into a tray to put in the chafing dishes.
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 jar of Hormel real bacon bits (the original recipe called for a pound of bacon)
- 2 cans of Great Northern Beans (the original recipe called for a pound of dry white beans)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey (the original recipe called for molasses)
- 1/4 cup spicy mustard (the original recipe called for dijon mustard)
- Generous amount of cracked black pepper
- Salt to taste
Preheat the crock pot on low.
Dice the onion and place in the slow cooker. Add the rest of the ingredients. Do NOT drain the beans just throw them in. You'll need the juices so its not too thick. Stir every 30 minutes or so. Cook on low for 3 hours.