Friday, October 12, 2012

Homemade Laundry Detergent ... Lasts almost a whole year!

Again I know this one isn't a recipe or tailgate related but I wanted to share.  I was at Target the other day and looking for Dreft detergent for the baby's clothes.  OMG!!!!  Are you kidding $20 for a little tub of it! 

So I decided to "stick it to the big corporations".

I decided there had to be a better way.

I went in search of a blog that had the answer.  And I found it.  The link is here.

Anyways I went in search of the ingredients and set out on a mission!  And it worked!  This is the best soap ever.  No breakouts from the kids, it gets the clothes clean, and its not scented so much that it nauseates you.

BTW...I made this in July and I barely have used any for a family of 4 and this is October now.  The whole project cost me $13 for the cooke jar (one time cost) and $14-15 for the supplies.

Ingredients:


  • (1)  4lb 12ox box of Borax that can be found in the detergent aisle (I found this at Target)
  • (1)  4lb box Arm&Hammer Baking Soda found in the cooking aisle (I found this at ShopRite)
  • (1)  55oz box of Arm&Hammer Super Washing Soda found in detergent aisle (I found this at ShopRite)
  • (2)  bars of Zote soap (I found this at Home Depot)
  • (1)  3lb container of OxyClean (I found this at Target)
  • (1)  Large Cookie Jar with lid

Directions:

Grate the Zote soap on a cheese grater.  I have a normal washer.  I've been told for the HE washers to chop it finely in a food processor.

Take a clean trash bag.



Dump in all the ingredients and mix around.

 
Put into the cooke jar.  Use approximately 2 tbp per large load.  It won't seem like a lot but remember...there's no commercial fillers in this so you don't need a huge scoop.

No comments:

Post a Comment