Friday, April 20, 2012

Baltimore Style Pit Beef

Sometimes life gets in the way of the best laid plans.  Ry guy has been sick with an earache so I haven't gotten a chance to look for the tailgate pictures from January.  But i did take the opportunity when I was preparing the Pit Beef for the Easter Egg Hunt to take some pictures of the prep work.

But as I found out as the guest started arriving I didn't remember to take any actual pictures of the finished product :-(  Maybe next time.


So this is what I used (minus the red wine vinegar that I'll talk about later)...two 2.5lb bottom roasts, Tastefully Simple Garlic Garlic, Tastefully Simple Seasoned Salt, salt, and pepper.


Here's a close up of the meat package.  I've also used top round and eye round before and its turned out great.


Put down some plastic wrap, coat each roast with the salt, pepper, garlic garlic, and seasoned salt.

Wrap up each roast individually in plastic wrap then in aluminum foil.  Put in the refriderator overnight.



This will help the spices marinate.



Preheat the grill to 350 degrees.  Place the roasts on one side on indirect heat.


I have a 5 burner grill and turn off the right 3 and keep the left two on HIGH.  This keeps the grill at around 350 degrees.

This is where I stopped taking pictures :-(

So turn the roasts every 30 mins.  They should cook in approximately 2 to 2.5 hours.  At the 1.5/2 hour mark I cut the roast in half and check it.  I cook until its medium done.  If you like it more well done leave it on longer.  Just make sure there's still a little pink in it.

After I take it off the grill I brush the outsides of the roast with a little Red Wine Vinegar and let it sit for 5 minutes.

I have a cheap meat slicer but a really sharp knife works also.  Cut the beef into thin slices.

To finish it off grab a Kaiser roll and put a nice handful of the pit beef on the bun.  Maryland/Baltimore style pit beef usually gets topped off with either barbeque sauce or horseradish.  Optional are raw thinly sliced onions for a topper.

Enjoy! 

--Purple Tailgating Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment